- 2½ lb. of beetroot
- 1 pint of vinegar
- 5 oz. of brown Demerara sugar
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 tbsp. of peeled, sliced horseradish
- Wash the beetroots (make sure they are similar in size so they cook evenly).
- Cook them for 30 to 60 minutes depending on the size.
- They must be tender when you pour out the hot water and pour in cold water to cool off the beetroots.
- It is now easy to peel off the skin of the beetroots.
- Bring vinegar, sugar and cloves to a boil and leave to simmer for a few minutes.
- Cut the beetroots into thick slices and put them into a large jar together with the horseradish.
- Pour over the vinegar so it covers the beetroots and leave the jar in the fridge to cool down.